Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Tide is Rising...

As my pal Keen pointed out, the mass beta invitations over at Pirates of the Burning Sea have begun. Around 1,000 sent out with this new build, and more are going out as soon as they're sure their systems can handle the load.

I was not one of the lucky few, but I do have a key so I suppose it's just a matter of time. I really can't wait to get in there and see if Flying Labs words are worth the web they're printed on. I'm betting they are.

I've got this really good feeling about the game, but then again, I've been wrong before. I won't name names, but not every game I've been hyped about has been as good as I originally hoped. But with that knowledge I'm reserving some of my excitement for PotBS. This way, if it completely and utterly sucks, I won't be too upset.

I don't think it'll be an issue though... it's Pirates. How can they go wrong... oh wait, I forgot about the SNES game Skullduggery. Well this is different... it has to be.

You can send me my invite any day now, FLS. :)

3 comments:

Keen said...

Send me an invite too please. :(

Anonymous said...

hehe, well I am sort of jumping on this bandwagon :) The economics, trading, ship building, and naval fighting all seem really cool. The standard fighting looks pretty much pathetic but that's alright, I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Bildo said...

I think the standard fighting could end up being a great deal of fun, even if it looks a bit hokey.

I understand that the combat is supposed to be a lot like the parry and evade combat in Sid Meier's Pirates. Where you have to use unbalancing skills before you can go for the damaging attacks, or risk being unbalanced yourself. In short, it's likely to be a very tactical affair that takes some getting used to.