Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I Can Tell You About One Beta...

The e-mail said otherwise, but according to Max Schaefer himself via the official beta forums, they have indeed lifted the NDA on this one... I'm talking about Mythos, lads and lasses. Quite possibly the 1st free-to-play MMO I've ever played that doesn't suck. In fact, it's quite bloody fun.

Here then, are my very quick 1st impressions -

1.) It's like Dungeon Runners... except fun to play.

2.) The races are unique: Humans of course, but also Satyrs and Gremlins

3.) The classes are great: Bloodletter (dual-wielding warrior), Pyromancer (fire-based mage), and the Gadgeteer (gun-wielding ranged class).

4.) Buggy as it should be for a beta, but despite this... it's incredibly addictive and fun to play.

5.) This is the free game us western gamers have been waiting for. Roguelikes = Awesome.

------------------------------------------

I've got lots more to stew on, and there are a lot more details to go over, which I will as I play the game and report on my findings here. The classes are a lot more unusual that it seems above. Sufficed to say, the Bloodletter has a skill on his "Redhand" tree that gives a small chance to summon a minion of flesh from the dead body of an enemy when they are defeated. Yeah... it's as awesome as it sounds.

I can see why, after initial testing Flagship decided to devote a group of people to give this one proper attention. It's not just a server-testing client like it was meant to be, it's a riot. It's addictive. It's fun, moreover. It's the kind of game hack and slash fans will keep on their desktops forever because if all works out, Flagship will be updating it for months and years after it officially launches.

So there's one of the mystery betas. I'll give more detailed feedback on it after I spend more time with it. Tonight, I'm playing the other mystery game. Wish me luck. :)

No comments: