Wednesday, July 11, 2007

If Beta Is A Sign of Things to Come...

Then I'm a little worried.

I'm referring to this beta I'm in, and have been in since last year. I can't tell you the name, but let's just say that it hasn't been a very assuring beta so far. For the 1st 3 months I couldn't log in due to problems with the software, then when I could log in, a new patch came out that made me unable to log in again... and I'm not the only one.

This is one of the games I was looking forward to most back in 2006, and now due to these issues it's quickly fading off my radar. I was let in to test, but I can't even test due to the problems with the client. This is a game that was supposed to come out last year, mind you.

We'll see how things go in the next month or two, since they're supposed to be way on top of the issue keeping a lot of testers from testing, but compared to LoTRO's beta, the difference is night and day.

If beta is the time to get your hardcore fans, this game is not doing so well right now. I'm hoping they get the problems straightened out, because believe me when I say that on paper this is a game that actually tries something new.

Anyway, speaking of LotRO, I'm stuck at 34 hunting down solo quests. The stuff I have left in Evendim isn't doable solo, so I'm left hunting around the globe for stuff to do. I headed into the Trollshaws last night, but so far I've only found one quest... to hunt 10 boars. Yay. I'm thinking I'm going to need to back off on LotRO for a bit and let more content get patched in for my playstyle.

I mean, there's plenty of group quests... but that's not my style. I'll do them for the epic quests, but I'd prefer to be left to my own devices for leveling. It's how WoW, CoH, AA, EQ2, and all those games of recent memory have spoiled me. If you want to solo, you can. By all means, I can still in LotRO... if I feel like grinding out deeds. Again, not my cup of tea. Combat's not fun enough to grind with.

Oh well, I'll keep you posted on my progression. As it is right now, I'm playing a lot of Need for Speed: Carbon on the Wii and waiting for the above-mentioned beta to get fixed so I can devote some time to it. That, or one of the other betas I've applied for can let me in and let me go bug-hunting. I'm begging, I know. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess would be "Conan" all though you can't say otherwise of course! =)

Bildo said...

I can tell you what it's not... and Conan would not be it. :)

I'd love to test that game, compared to this one right now, so Anon if you work for Funcom... let me in!

:D

Unknown said...

is your username in this beta Bildo84? if it is I know which one, I'd love to have someone else to talk to about it and *hopefully* improve

Unknown said...

did some editing to my last post, but yes, I'm in the beta, I'll send you a PM on the forums if you say yes so you know for sure, and I mean hopefully watch it improve, hehe

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about beta's and so far the one I'm in is lacking. Now it may not be the same one as you ..

Bildo said...

It's also discouraging to me, because when you go into beta, and you're letting your fledgling community into it... you'd really better be ready to show off the game even in early stages. I've been in numerous betas since I started with MMOs a few years back, and this is by far the worst when it comes to actually being ABLE to test the game.

What does that say to the community of said game? To me it says, "Start looking elsewhere for a future home."