Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Trick or Treat!

I want a treat, dammit. And I want it to be Hellgate... oh, what's this? A day early I can play, you say? Treat it is!

Servers opened around 6pm EST for beta participants, giving us time to reserve names, and even get started building our characters. Needless to say, I didn't come out of my office the rest of the night except for a Mountain Dew and some food. I managed to get way past the spot I got to in the beta, and I have to say... I'm really not quite getting why people say there's a lack of tilesets in this game. It's all dark, it's all bleak and urban... but it's hardly the same thing over and over. I'll take some screens of different areas later. But needless to say by the time I got to Picadilly Circus, into a Hellrift, and then into Hell itself... yeah, I was impressed with the scope. The game's no Crysis, but I'll be damned (pun intended) if it doesn't look pretty.

For now, take some solace in these screens of my level 11 Engineer... aptly named Bildo... or not. Nevermind, the screens won't post properly. Will try to get some tomorrow (31st still), maybe even video if I can swing it.

Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Can't wait to see your screenies!

Anyway, finally starting to catch up (well, not really, but at least I dropped by here, which is a start, right?).

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for EA to grab your IP identifying statistics you've agreed to give?

You paid $50 and a monthly fee for advertisements in your game. :(

Bildo said...

Anon... you wouldn't happen to be the Trisian that's plagueing the boards of VN with all the naysaying but still playing would you? You sound suspiciously like him/her.

I didn't pay a monthly fee. I paid 50 dollars. The ads, also, are for the comic book of Hellgate, and Dark Horse... maybe an nVidia one thrown in there?

They're there in the subways, in perfect context and I actually think they add to the atmosphere. They're certainly not obtrusive. Sorry you feel the opposite.

And lastly, as many times has been stated the agreement in the EULA you refer to is nearly standard practice by MANY companies these days when it comes to online games. You might as well swear off the internet.

Me? I'm going to go have fun playing the game, instead of worry about the tiniest details of an EULA and subway posters depicting a comic company that I'd gladly support. I don't like to use cliches... but cry more, please.

Anonymous said...

Umm... we pay for the magazines, newspapers, and television packages that advertise to us too, you know, Anon. Ads don't magically make those free, they just keep them from costing an arm and a leg. And do you complain this vociferously about the ads present on real-world bus stops and subway platforms?

Aaron Miller said...

For some reason (I forget why), I pre-ordered the game online. So I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail. That's alright though, since I'm still enjoying some of my 360 games and I can't keep up with my online reading as it is.

It seems like every other day someone points me to another link that gets bookmarked. =/