Thursday, October 8, 2009

WAR-torn between superheroes and slayers...

So I played WAR for a bit last night, and I really did enjoy being back in the world. I missed the art style and the general atmosphere... but something struck me as off. After the past couple months of Champions Online, I really have trouble getting back into the old style of MMO combat and travel.

In Champions it's so easy to get around, right from level 5, that I don't know if I have it in me to raise a character to level 20 in WAR for a mount. And it's not like the zones are very huge in WAR, or that there's a lot of back and forth travelling. I mean, it's as easy to get around in WAR as it is in WoW. But nothing quite matches super-jumping over mountains or from group of mobs to group of mobs.

I ended up playing Champions for an hour or two last night even though I wanted my fantasy fix more, simply because Champions is more fast-paced, more visceral, and more exciting for PvE. I'm only in my teens still in the game though, and I'm anxious to see what the Nemesis system is all about, but I've got about 10 more levels to climb through. Luckily the quests and locations in CO are far more interesting than City of Heroes, and the pace of leveling far more swift.

My lady is gone from Sunday to Monday this weekend, and in that time I'm itching to do some major leveling of Wolfenstein... my bestial/superstrength white werewolf superhero. See? That's why I like Champions despite its faults. I can't say that sentence about any other game.

2 comments:

Lars said...

Movement in WAR is horribly slow, even with a mount...

Bildo said...

Hah... maybe that's it. Maybe I really was moving slow and it has nothing to do with the comparison. I'd like to boot up WoW and see if I feel the same way about it, but I'd have to install it all, and get a trial account to avoid paying $15.

I never did play much of Lich King at all. Right now though, I need to focus on CO for work anyway.