Friday, October 16, 2009

I want Torchlight, Borderlands, and Dragon Age...

But there's a problem. They all come out around the same time, and more importantly, they all cost money I won't likely have. Oh, and they're not out for 2 and 3 more weeks still respectively. It's been a long time since I can remember really looking forward to a game's launch. I fell for Champions Online only after launch set in and I was able to stop playing just for guides and the like at TTH. I wanted it, but I wasn't screaming with the glee of a 12 year old child for it like I am these games.

Torchlight is from Runic Games, the studio that rose from the ashes of Mythos when Flagship went under. It's a fairly straightforward Roguelike, but if it's anything like Mythos it's likely going to be a ton of fun, and at $20 why wouldn't I give the small crew at Runic Games my money? It launches as a single-player game first, and later as an MMOG. I want to see them realize what was their dream with Mythos, so I'll be downloading it from Steam on day one.

Borderlands is another action-RPG of sorts, but with a heavy focus on FPS mechanics. Not like Fallout 3 or Hellgate, this game relies on player skills to hit the enemies, not dice rolls. Headshots and all the other staples of the genre are in, but so is a massive open world, 4-player action, tons of missions and side quests, and a buttload of randomized gear. It looks to me like the kind of game I wish Hellgate would have been. The fact that it looks like a cartoon version of Beyond Thunderdome or the Road Warrior only makes me squeal more.

Then of course there's going to be Bioware's Dragon Age. The spiritual successor to the now legendary Baldur's Gate series is all the info I need to know about this game. Though Pete's been trying to spoil it for me, I'm avoiding as much info as possible. Apparently it plays a lot like a medieval Mass Effect, and that's good enough for me. I miss the lovingly crafted CRPGs of old, and if this does anything to bring me back to that era I'll be happy.

So in any case... does anyone have about $140 I can borrow?

2 comments:

james_lankford said...

as of Oct 16 you can pre-order TorchLight on Steam and save $2

I know its not much of a saving, but still, $18 is better than $20

Bildo said...

Done, and done! Thanks, James. $2 saved is $2.