Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Torchlight: Or Why I Haven't Posted Since Friday

Travis and Wonder of Runic Games made sure I had my review copy of Torchlight Saturday afternoon.  My goal was to post impressions that day... until I got lost in the game... over the past 5 days.

The game brings back the same feeling of simple gaming goodness that Diablo 1 and 2 did back in the 90s.  The game comes from the shared creative efforts of the team behind the ill-fated Mythos, which itself was comprised of the core members behind Diablo 1 and 2 and Fate.  So it's plain to see why this group of developers decided to make their first game a clear-cut Roguelike or more appropriately (but not derogatory) Diablo-clone. 

Needless to say, since I burned myself out on Diablo 2, I've been searching for that next hack-n-slash fix.  I've played everything from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, to X-Men and Marvel Ultimate Alliance on consoles to Sacred 1 and 2, Titan Quest, Fate, and so on and so forth on the PC in the past several years.  Nothing really quite gave me the same feeling of "I must keep killing and collecting loot" that the Diablo series once did. 

That is, until Torchlight.

I won't fully review it until I've had more time with all the classes, but really the review will likely end up being me just glowing about it and its extremely low pricepoint for the value you get ($20) for several paragraphs.  Go get it.  From the Torchlight site itself, from Steam, Direct2Drive, Gamers Gate, or any other site that might have it.  I was given a press copy, sure... but I still bought it off Steam too because I want to see these guys get the success they deserve.  Rising from the ashes of Flagship and Mythos to create what's probably the best action-RPG in ages in 11 months' time is no small feat. 

They deserve your money.

More on the actual game and its awesomeness to come.

No comments: