Monday, January 28, 2008

A Massive Thrusting Purchase

My office-mate is prone to some very colorful commentary. Sayings like, "I'm boning for that new Rambo movie" are commonplace. Over time spent in the same office as him I find myself adopting his language here and there. When I'm all about something, I now refer to it as "jocking" whatever it is that I'm really into. It could be said, for instance, that I have been "jocking my 360" lately.

That all said brings me to the title of this post.

I made a massive thrusting of a purchase this weekend. My wife and I went to Best Buy for a CD by Man Man, and somehow left with a 42" 1080p LCD TV... and I didn't even have to coax her. I was the one saying, "do we really need this right now?" I guess we did. In fact, I'm sure we did.

Once we got the thing set up and hooked up to all its brothers and sisters (we still need the HD cable box now and HDMI cables to boot, but they're free from the cable company), there was no going back. Seeing John Woo's Stranglehold on my Xbox in 720p was awe-inspiring. I played a game of NBA 2K8 and saw the sweat dripping from my virtual self as I choked on a late-game free-throw. Mass Effect, needless to say, is now due for another play-through.

If there are any of you out there who are still mulling over getting an HDTV, as in you have the means but are not sure yet, wait no longer. Go get one. Now. If you dig movies, games, whatever... you'll not regret it a bit. Right up there with my Xbox, it's the best purchase I've made since I bought my wife her engagement ring. It doesn't bring the same amount of happiness, but it makes boring Sundays not so boring.

Cheers, you lot.

No comments: