Tuesday, September 18, 2007

How to Get Into Game Journalism

The Escapist recently posted the transcript of the X-Fire chat they hosted sharing the title of this blog entry. The interviewees were Michael Zenke of Slashdot/Escapist/MMOGNation fame, and Mr. Escapist himself, Russ Pitts.

There's a lot of good advice in the chat, and I just wanted to point it out to all my fellow bloggers. If I was for some strange reason one day given the choice between my two desired "Gaming Industry" jobs (CM or Journalist), it'd wind up being Journalist hands down. I know, that's crazy. Who wants to write their opinions and report news all day for money?

Me. I've always been a writer. A lot of what you see here is just me rambling to get some thoughts off my head and onto e-paper, but the truth is that any type of writing is what I love to do. I'm an artsy kind of guy. I love to cartoon, I love to sing, I love to write, and so on and so forth. But writing is where it all comes back to. It's my crutch. I know I can do it because it's like breathing. I'm seldom without anything to say. Imagine what it would be like to be paid to blog?

I know some would say it could take the joy out of it... but not for me. That would be like saying getting paid to eat or breathe or sleep would take the joy out of those practices. I don't do this just because I like to, I blog because it's part of who I am. It'd simply be an added benefit if I could parlay this hobby into a paying job.

*HINTS TO GAMING WEBSITES IN NEED OF WRITERS/EDITORS/ETC.*

Anyway, here's the link to the chat. If you're hoping to crack your way into games journalism one day, it's some advice to take in seriously.

LINK

No comments: