Monday, April 14, 2008

Long But Short Weekend...

Weekends lately are an odd beast. I've got so much going on between finishing up in my classes and web design work, not to mention TTH work... that they don't feel like weekends at all. Just days of the week where I don't have to commute.

That'll all change in two weeks though... no more school after the 27th. Two degrees, 18 years, and thousands of dollars later, I'm finally done with school unless some job in the future wants to send me off for more. But as for me breaking the bank for it? No more. Uh-uh. I'd like to retire before I'm 95.

I did get some Hellgate London in this weekend for the first time in a while. I'm still not fond of many classes except the pet ones, so I started Nightmare Mode with my Engineer that I first finished the game with months ago. Talk about a riot. I wish the normal mode of the game was as cool as Nightmare, because it would make going through the beginning levels much more fun. For the first 20 or so levels of Hellgate, even in Elite mode (unless you're playing Hardcore where death is permanent), you don't feel very afraid of anything. All enemies are relatively easy to beat, and there's no sense of impending doom. But as you near the end of the game, things get a lot more interesting.

That mentality carries over into Nightmare mode because of the bigger and badder mobs, and the fact that you're not starting from scratch. Taking my level 30 Engineer back to the beginning of the game on a higher difficulty feels 100 times different than starting a brand new character at level 1. It's very reminiscent of Diablo 2 and the hours upon hours I spent there, but somehow there's still something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. Regardless, it's a great action game and one I'm still glad I picked up on launch.

That's my update for today unless some bombshell drops during the Monday boredom-fest. Just wanted to keep my loyal readers tuned into the fact that I'm nearing a looser schedule which should enable me to get back to my normal blogging pace.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Aaron Miller said...

I never gave Hellgate its due time after I bought it. I'd like to go back and play it, but I lost the box and CD key somewhere. =/

I finally posted some ideas on what MMOs can learn from GTA... like I said I would weeks ago.