Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thinking Geek

I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend (Hi Doug!) and he brought up a solid point in regards to how I seem on my blog and how he knows me to be in real life. He stated that from the blog, if he only knew me from my words here, that he'd think I did nothing all day but play games and that I spent way more time on them than was normal. But in reality, he knows that my blog is more a representation of how I wish I could be.

I wish I could stay at home all day, soak up all the games in the world, and report back here and call that my living. But alas... it can't be so. In actuality I play anywhere from 10 to 15 hours between all games during your average week. On lazy weekends or holiday weekends, I can probably squeak in that extra 5 hours to bring me on par with your average gamer (according to the Nielsen ratings), and that's still less than the 28 hours your average american spends watching TV each week (it should make all hardcore gamers feel good that we spend less time devoted to our hobby than the viewers of Survivor do partaking in theirs).

Rather, what's striking about my gaming habits these days is just how much time outside of playing I spend reading up on the industry, checking for news repeatedly throughout the day as one would check stock prices or CNN for other news, and in general thinking about games as an entertainment and art medium. Then it dawned on me, I may be even more of a geek than I was as a teenager. Sure I have less time to devote to the actual gaming, but at work and even sometimes at home I spend inordinate amounts of time researching this little passion of mine.

One anonymous commenter recently asked why I don't talk more about Pirates of the Burning Sea now that it's in beta, and aside from not playing it out of choice due to wanting the game to seem fresh at launch, I also find myself without the time between Tabula Rasa (which is for real not beta anymore) and now my Xbox 360 (which I got yesterday, w00t!) and not to mention work, school, and in general remembering I have a wife too (love you, honey).

Life's busy, and I find myself with less and less time to really play games these days... but I'll be damned if I ever stop thinking about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should make a post about PotBS though, I would be interested in hearing your take on it's less then steller aspects. I think everyone agrees the ship combat is great, but the rest of it seems somewhat tacked on. I know you had high praise for the game when you DID play the beta, and I'm wondering if your thoughts have changed at all.

Stormgaard said...

Yeah I don't play as much as I would like either. I only edge you out by about 5 hours a week.